Tasks & responsibilities
As a senior technical writer
you can have several tasks related to the definition, description, procurement, integration and operational use of technical equipment on board of newbuilding ships. You can be involved from the first proposal, over the Factory, Harbour and Sea Acceptance Tests, until the final delivery and commissioning of the vessel, and even beyond that with after sales support.
During the newbuilding process you are part of a team of engineers and specialists with the main goal to ensure that all required (technical) equipment information is available correctly and in time. Your goal is to keep the process ongoing without delays or hick-ups.
You are typically the interface between the engineering, the purchasing and the production departments of a shipyard. You work in close cooperation with these departments. Beside this you are also in contact with suppliers, sales and other departments.
You integrate technical and practical knowledge into the design and take care that all relevant data is stored accurately in the PDM-system being used by the shipyard.
You are the senior specialist who masters all below skills:
Technical knowledge & soft skills
- Setting up of (functional) technical specifications for suppliers based upon customer requirements and the agreed building specification;
- Performing technical evaluations of quotations from suppliers in close cooperation with the purchasing department;
- Ensuring full compliance to all applicable requirements imposed by customer(building specification) and statutory bodies;
- Engaging in technical discussions to achieve comparable levels of compliancy for competing suppliers of the same product/system (providing a good starting point for the commercial negotiation);
- Acquiring and reviewing supplier engineering information/documentation (i.e. mechanical drawings, schematics, calculations, electrical diagrams, etc.);
- Integrating delivered components/systems into ship design in close cooperation with the involved departments, suppliers, statutory bodies and owner;
- Providing input and updates for the engineering database (i.e. purchase orders, parts, metadata, documentation);
- Performing required technical calculations to validate the design;
- Composing technical/functional specification documents (i.e. System Description Statements, HAT and SAT procedures);
- Verifying technical performance of products and systems (i.e. inspection of equipment at supplier premises, FAT’s);
- Offering technical support for commissioning activities;
- Ensuring a good working relationship with technical representatives of suppliers and subcontractors;
- Participating in design checks and reviews in order to guarantee the required quality.
- You have +5 years’ experience in the Maritime or Offshore industry, preferably in a similar role;
- You have minimally a bachelor degree with a technical focus or equal based on work experience;
- You have an excellent knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- You are a specialist in all technical equipment present on a ship;
- You do not hesitate to ask questions, are a great communicator and are eager to learn about new software packages;
- You are interested to work with and manage third-party vendors and subcontractors;
- You have quality, planning and budget awareness;
- You work proactive and precise;
- You are willing to travel and work abroad for short periods of time